May has been a reasonably busy time for Grange Moor Brass Band with two large events this month.
The Grange Moor Youth Training Band (GMYTB) was delighted to be invited to lead the celebration of King Charles III’s Coronation on the green opposite the band room on May 7th. The event had free refreshments, free face painting and a visiting donkey on the green while the band played. Without a great deal of time to prepare, the band played their prepared programme of ‘television and film themes’ with additional more patriotic tunes.
Members of the main band joined them, and it was lovely to have the two bands working together. One highlight of the concert was a performance of Concierto de Aranjuez by Kat Bentham on flugel. We are so lucky to have gifted parents of GMYTB children, and Kat’s son, Teddy, plays in the band. Her performance was wonderful and by popular request was played in both halves of the concert to a large audience on the village green.
After the event, many of the audience came forward to say how much they appreciated the version of Land of Hope and Glory leading directly into the National Anthem. It was a suitably happy and glorious occasion; the village has been very appreciative of the event and proud of our village children making great music.
Thanks to Alice Broome for these fabulous images of the event.
We also performed at Ravensthorpe with Hopton URC for one of our annual concerts to an appreciative audience. This concert featured solos from Fiona Hinchliffe and Tony Robertson as well as a duet from Warren Gillibrand and Richard Broome. Thanks to the church for being wonderful, welcoming hosts, as always. We are looking forward to our return later in the year.
The band’s next event is on Sunday, 18th June, 3:30 – 5:30pm, at The Calder Vale, Millfield Road, Horbury, (WF4 5EB).
After that, we have a slight lull before this run of concerts. Some of these events require tickets to enter:
- Sunday, 16th July, Victoria Park, Calverley – 2:30 – 4:30pm – Carr Road, Calverley, Pudsey, LS28 5PY
- Saturday, 22nd July, Huddersfield Tractorfest – 11:00 – 11:45am and 12:15 – 1:00pm – North Moor Lane, Upper Heaton, Huddersfield, HD5 0PZ
- Saturday, 5th August, Crow Nest Park – 1:00pm -3:00pm – Heckmondwike Road, Dewsbury WF13 2SG
- Sunday, 13th August, New Farnley Park – 2:30 – 4:30pm – Low Moor Side, Leeds, LS12 5EA
- Sunday, 20th August, Mirfield Show – 11:00am, 12:30pm & 2pm – Showground, Huddersfield Road, Mirfield, WF14 9NE
We hope to see you at some of them. Please say hi!
As well as supporting the band at these events, you could also become a member of our 100 Club. More details are here.